Monday, July 14, 2014

Berkshires Part 1-Plainfield to Williamstown

   

 It was a wonderful day to head to the Berkshires, and I was doing this trip solo today, as I had plans to meet up with a friend in that area. Heading west on Route 9 to 116, the first stop was to the town of Plainfield. The firehouse here in town is located on North Central Street, and is part of the town's newer public safety complex. I loved the logo out front.


 



After the town of Plainfield, I continued west along Route 116 to the town of Savoy. The firehouse here is located on Center Road, and the side of the firehouse is visible from Route 116, but the front entrance is what I thought was pretty neat-you have to go over a small bridge and brook in the driveway, before you get to the firehouse itself.  





One of the bay doors was open during the time of my visit, so of course I had to get a close up of the first truck of the day.



After Savoy, the next stop was to the town of Cheshire, so I continued west along Route 116, where my GPS took me along an interesting side road shortcut to the "main drag" in town, on South Street where the firehouse is located. This is a busy road, so it was a bit challenging not only to shoot a photo of the firehouse, but also to try to make a left out of the street when I left as well. 




The Cheshire firehouse also has a pretty neat electronic sign out in front of the firehouse, so you can see how warm it was while I traveled that day. Those who say the Berkshires are always cooler I have to argue a bit with, it was definitely a beautiful and WARM! day when I visited.





Next stop was to the town of Adams, where the firehouse is located right along Route 8, and I have always thought this was a great looking firehouse every time I have traveled by it.










  To the right of the firehouse, there is a great old piece next to the flagpole, between the firehouse and the bank.












Continuing up Route 8 Northbound, the next stop was to the left of the town of North Adams, to Williamstown. The firehouse here is located on Water Street, just off Route 2.



For those wanting to check out the local scenery, between Williamstown and the town of North Adams, you can make a detour on Route 2 to the summit of the highest natural point in the state of Massachusetts, to Mount Greylock. I am still amazed that my car made it to the top of the mountain, and I don't mind telling you that I was white knuckled all the way up-not sure if my car would even make it halfway. Once I got to the halfway point of the incline, there was only one option-to keep going. 

View from the summit over Adams looking eastward
View along the climb up-looking to the west






Definitely was worth it for the views of the surrounding areas and towns.
 It was a beautiful day to be up there.




After coming back down from the summit-in low gear with my brakes squealing all the way, it was time to head back east on Route 2 to the town of Clarksburg. I thought I was done with hills until I began the climb up Eagle Street in North Adams. I can't imagine how wonderful this hill must be in the New England winters.

The firehouse is located in Clarksburg just a few minutes away from North Adams, on Cross Road.

Front view from Cross Road

Left side of firehouse from Cross Road

    The last stop of the day was in the town of North Adams, where I had planned grab a bite to eat and then to meet a friend for a walk around town and then join him to watch the SteepleCats baseball game, a collegiate team that is based there in town. Luckily for me, the firehouse got a call just as I arrived after our walk was completed, and I was able to watch the crew suit up and get ready to head out on the trucks. 

And they are off!

All quiet in the firehouse now

With that firehouse finished, it was almost game time. I think I'm bringing the team good luck as they have won at the games I have been at this summer so far. The SteepleCats won 7-6.

Slider-Team SteepleCat mascot
photo courtesy of Nick Mantello 


photo courtesy of Nick Mantello



No comments:

Post a Comment