Tuesday, September 2, 2014

A short update for followers

I wanted to post this week with just a quick note on the project and an update.

There is one more large trip to go before all the firehouses on the list are completed, but there are some things that have been going on for me personally that have been preventing me from getting them photographed. I had hoped to finish this before the Labor Day weekend holiday, and unfortunately real life has gotten in the way of this a little bit. I am hoping to get every last firehouse done before the end of September. 

First off- I am still waiting to hear from the powers that be at Barnes Air Force base for permission to photograph the firehouse there. For those who may not be aware of it, I am sure my request is far down on the list due to the unfortunate recent crash and death of one of their pilots in Virginia recently. Their press office has enough to handle at this time, so I'm going to wait a little longer before reaching out to them again on my request.

I have also returned to teaching-and the college I work at started the term a week earlier than normal ( I lost an entire week of summer!) so my time during the week for travel has been limited.

And the most pressing unfortunate event that has taken up all of my free time in the past few weeks, my aunt was diagnosed in May with a rare form of cancer, actually so rare that only about 400 individuals have ever been diagnosed with it. For those wondering, it is termed "nut midline carcinoma", and unfortunately, this is one of those cancers that do not respond with the traditional treatments of radiation or chemotherapy. The only experimental drug trial currently for this cancer was not successful for her case, as a result I have been spending almost all of my free time with her and our family in the time she has remaining with us. Her journey is almost at its end as of this writing, so in the coming month I hope to get back out on the road and travel to the remaining firehouses.

I know that this is something everyone has heard before, but it is worth repeating. Tell those you love every chance you get how much they mean to you, laugh often, and seize every moment. 







No comments:

Post a Comment