Monday, October 6, 2014

At the End.....Or Not???


This past weekend I got to the last town in Western Mass on my list, my home town of Northampton. I had wanted to save it for last mainly because I reasoned it would have been the easiest one to do, and would be a good ending to this project. Unfortunately, I am still getting the runaround from the base at Barnes in Westfield, so this post isn't really the end. Thanks to the great Asst Chief Wood at Westover, I was able to contact the Chief at Barnes directly, who said "no problem". However, it has to be approved by the Public Affairs office at the base first. Two emails and one phone message later and I still haven't heard back from the base. Never fear, I'm not giving up, and am still trying. I have one friend who can go to the PX there, so I'm hoping to bribe her into taking me along so I can do a drive-by shoot(sorry bad phrasing here) of the firehouse. If that fails, a relative has a friend who is married to a Colonel there, (not quite six degrees of separation but pretty close!) that I might be able to beg for assistance. So it is a waiting game to see how it all shakes out at this point. Regardless, on to the firehouses in Northampton. The first stop was at the Florence station, located on Maple Street. Florence is a section of Northampton, and the locals call it the Village of Florence-hey it has its own zip code after all right? I used to live in the center, and after a few months didn't even jump when the engines came racing down the street blaring their sirens on route to a call. 












About two blocks south of Florence, you drive by a small little park, Trinity Park to be precise, and if you take a moment to stop and walk through it, you will spot the memorial for firefighters there on the corner.



The new firehouse in town is located down on King Street, and is a much larger location than the old firehouse previously located downtown. The complex is pretty immense, so I shot both from the front and side views.


Front view-from King Street

Side View of Firehouse
Just inside the firehouse, you will see one of the older apparatus that once was used in town. 












Just outside of the firehouse,
one of the old bells can be located on the side near the entrance.



Being so close to the Connecticut River, the department also has a fire boat used for water rescues, stored here at the King Street location. 
\


New flags on the grills were a treat to see, the only other town I have seen during my travels that has a grill like this one was in Dalton. Northampton has two, but this is the more impressive grill with more of a full flag motif.



The vehicle below is owned by the state, and currently housed here in town, used for large or long term fire emergencies.There are a few on staff at the department here who are trained for this vehicle in particular.





Seal on the floor inside firehouse

To the left, you will see the portable units for refilling air tanks built right into the emergency vehicles.








Within the firehouse,
visitors can also see the department patch board as well as the fire pole. The flaps(so no accidental drops!) open when weight is placed on the pole. And in case anyone is wondering, no I did not slide down it.(Although I probably should have asked to!)



Huge thank you to Jared Kajka for the visit here at the King Street firehouse!

I will still update this blog if I can get to Barnes and do the firehouse there, but after I breathed a sigh of relief that this project was finally finished, I realized it really isn't over at this point. I have met so many people and talked with them about this project, that I realize that I need to keep working on and widen its range more. Plans for a book of all of the photographs are at the top of the list, along with expanding to include the rest of the state and potentially all of New England are in the works. People are really enthusiastic and excited(incredibly some even more than I am!) about this project, and have given me many suggestions and much encouragement to continue on with it. For me, this project started with a desire to see more of the area that I have lived my entire life in, and the admiration I have for the crews who go out every day to answer a call. I certainly experienced more dirt roads in the past few months than I think I ever have before! This area has an incredible amount of history, and much more wide open spaces than I ever thought it did, as well as many areas I had never traveled to. The thrill of discovering new places played a big part in this project, as well as discovering how similar and different firehouses across the region can be. One added bonus, if I ever run into problems while traveling in the area and need emergency assistance, I know exactly where each and every firehouse is in every town here! While I don't know specifically each and every person that has taken the time to discover and read this blog, I do know that it has been read by individuals in countries near and far, so a huge thank you to the readers from the following areas who have explored it as of this writing:

Bermuda, France, Germany, Ireland, Poland, Romania, Russia, Ukraine, United Kingdom, and of course, the United States.

Not too bad for a little blog that isn't promoted hmm?

Regardless, keep checking back to the blog and I promise to update followers on the next phase of this project as it unfolds.

Thanks to my "big brother" Bill, for pushing and encouraging me with this project, and helping me to scream at the GPS when it was telling us to be in the wrong place from where we wanted to be. One of the best road trip pals ever, except when you were laughing at me about my "damn dirt road" phobias. I still will detour miles out of the way in order to avoid driving on them. My car is still trying to recover from the traumas I inflicted.

And now for something completely different........

One of my friends took the time on his vacation to photograph and send me photos of firehouses when he wasn't getting drunk on wine in France or taking "selfies" at the Eiffel Tower. Thanks Paul for sending them to me so that I could share them here!

First- a truck-in traffic of course!











You can just see part of the engine bays from this shot











A fuller view of the firehouse bays in this shot





Pretty neat to view this through the alleyway











It wouldn't be right for me not to include Paul and his "selfie" at the Eiffel Tower after the photos he took for me. Thanks Paul! <grin>


And I leave you now with one incredibly important message-if you hear or see an emergency truck-PULL OVER and let them get past you-that extra minute of trying to maneuver around your vehicle could make a difference to someone. 
Stay safe and enjoy life readers!

No comments:

Post a Comment